Monday, September 17, 2012

Homecoming Block 3 Tutorial

Happy Monday! 
I hope you all had a great weekend. We had some interesting things happen on our weekend outings, but that's for another day. Today I am sharing with you my third block to my table topper. There will be 4 blocks total. This is a friendship star block and 4-patch combination.
I have a name for my table topper. Yeah!!! 
If you create blocks using my tutorials or patterns, I would love to see it. Please upload it to my Flickr group.






Homecoming Table Topper Block 3
12" square finished

Supplies:

2 - light fat quarters (A, B)
2 - medium-dark fat quarters (C, D)

You can also also use scraps of 2 1/2" and 4 7/8" strips of fabric at least 18" long for this block. I chose fat quarters because it's already cut long enough.

Cutting Instructions:

1 fat quarter  A - cut 2 - 2 1/2" strips
1 fat quarter B - cut 1 - 4 /7'8" strip, subcut 2 - 4 7/8" squares
1 fat quarter C - cut 2 - 2 1/2" strips
1 fat quarter D - cut 1 4 7/8" strip, subcut 2 - 4 7/8" squares

Block Assembly:

1. Mark a diagonal line on the wrong side of the light 4 7/8" squares.



Place one light 4 7/8" square and one med/dark 4 7/8" square right sides together. 


2. Stitch 1/4" from both sides of drawn line. Cut on the diagonal line.


Press open. There will be a total of 4 - 4 7/8" half square triangles.


3. Take the light and med/dark 2 1/2" strips, placing them right sides together, stitch.


Press open. Cut into 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" sections.


You'll need a total of 10. The photo only shows 8, but you need ten.


4. Stitch 2 - 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" sections together to form a 4 patch.


5. Place the 4 - patch and half square triangles as follows. Stitch the 4 - patch and half square triangles together to form 3 horizontal rows. Press row 1 seams to the left, row 2 seams to the right and row 3 seams to the left.
Stitch the rows together. Press the seams toward the center.


This is the finished block.


If you missed block 1 and 2, click here to go to the tutorial.

3 comments:

SewWhatsNew said...

Thank you. Your color choices are beautiful.

CeLynn said...

I love how your fabrics make the star just jump out :)

Anonymous said...

Four blocks... this is doable, maybe?! Along with everything else I should be doing. :-/
Loved the other two, and ESPECIALLY this one... and just one more, huh? Okay, we shall see...